Monday, May 30, 2011

Psalms 107:28-30

28 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.

29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.

30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

These scriptures remind of the hymn Master, the Tempest is Raging, which goes, in part:

Master, the tempest is raging!
The billows are tossing high!
The sky is o’ershadowed with blackness.
No shelter or help is nigh.
Carest thou not that we perish?
How canst thou lie asleep
When each moment so madly is threat’ning
A grave in the angry deep?

And then the assuring chorus:

The winds and the waves shall obey thy will:
Peace, be still, peace, be still.
Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea
Or demons or men or whatever it be,
No waters can swallow the ship where lies
The Master of ocean and earth and skies.
They all shall sweetly obey thy will:
Peace, be still; peace, be still.
They all shall sweetly obey thy will:
Peace, peace, be still.

If we turn to the Lord in prayer during the "tempests" of our lives, He will calm the waves and help us weather the storm. I remember during a particularly stormy period of my life, I was feeling overwhelmed and unable to meet the challenges that I was facing. I said to a friend, "I don't know who said that the Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle, because that is not true! I can't handle this! It's too much for me!" Her response has always stuck with me. She said, "I don't know about that, but I do know that the scriptures say that with God nothing is impossible." (Mark 10:27). I really believe that there are things that come to us in our lives that we can't handle. Things that are bigger than us. Things that we are not prepared to endure. But, I also truly believe that it is in those times that we can turn our burdens over to the Lord, and He will help us carry them and will make it possible to do anything we need to do in our lives. So, if you find yourself in choppy water, turn to the Lord. Pray to your Father in Heaven, who loves you dearly. He will bring you through your storm and guide you into your desired haven. He will give you peace.

Love,
Sister Jones

No comments: