Thursday, May 5, 2011

Exodus 15:1-2

1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

2 The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.

Have you ever just read the words to your favorite Hymn? I love to spend those quiet, reflective moments during the Sacrament re-reading the words to the Hymn we just sang, or any of my other favorites. Each song is like a written prayer of gratitude, supplication, or sometimes both to our Heavenly Father.

When we think about praying constantly we can involve Hymns in our thoughts, and listen to them when we have the opportunity. I have a 1 1/2 hour commute everyday to and from the U of U. At first I would spend that time flipping amongst the various radio stations trying to find something to pass the time, but I discovered that this was more annoying than anything. Then I decided to put the Ensign, Conference Talks, and Hymns on my Mp3 player and listen to those through my cars speakers. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I now ponder the words of our prophets, think of people in my life, and receive quiet inspiration as I spend my drive in prayer. I focus better in class, feel more appreciative of those around me, and even find my studies to be better applied.

When we "always remember him" his spirit will be with us. Think about what you spend your quiet times thinking about and listening to. Is there something more beneficial?

I LOVE YOU!
Sister Horne

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Love this Sister Horne! So true.... Thank you for always sharing your strong testimony with us. I feel the same way sometimes. I find myself constantly having music playing (in the car, when I work out, when I am getting ready in the morning). Then I take a step back or turn the music off for a moment and realize that I am not allowing the spirit to talk to me because there is always so much noise in the back ground. I love this idea. Thank you