Sunday, June 12, 2011

Joseph Smith-History 1:14-17

14 So, in accordance with this, my determination to ask of God, I retired to the woods to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of eighteen hundred and twenty. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to pray vocally.

 15 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction.

 16 But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction—not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being—just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.

 17 It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!

About 15 years ago, when my children were little we purchased some animated scripture stories on video for our children to watch. One of the videos told the story of Joseph Smith and the First Vision. There was some controversy surrounding this particular story. When Joseph Smith begins praying the video shows a thick darkness gathering around him and a great struggle to overcome this enemy as the scriptures describe. Many parents felt that it was too graphic and might scare their children that the same experience might happen to them if they chose to pray. I was somewhat concerned that my children might feel that way, but I love to focus on the fact that no matter how dark or powerful the adversary is that the light is always greater. By facing the adversary first, Joseph learned that as great as the power of evil might be, it must always withdraw with the appearance of righteousness. I believe that Satan is more subtle with each of us in his persuasion against prayer. If we were seized upon by darkness and felt we were doomed to sudden destruction as Joseph was, I believe we would all call upon God immediately with all our energy to deliver us as Joseph did. Satan is more cunning with his attempts against our prayers with Heavenly Father. We don’t battle thick darkness or feelings of destruction, but laziness, uncertainty, distractions, and doubt.

Joseph Smith believed in the principles taught in the scriptures and had faith that if he asked God, that he would receive an answer. He prayed in the morning in a secluded place. It was the first time in his life that he had prayed vocally. He kneeled and offered the desires of his heart to God. He fought against the adversary. When the light appeared, Heavenly Father called him by name. And he listened and obeyed.

What would happen today if you followed the example of Joseph Smith and prayed as he did? Would you find yourself delivered from the temptations and struggles in your life? Would you hear Heavenly Father call you by name? Would you feel the presence of God and His light? Would you listen and obey?

Your prayer is just as important to Heavenly Father as Joseph Smith’s prayer, but if you doubt that, try this experiment.  I went to a secluded place in my home and knelt down. I began praying vocally and said, “Heavenly Father this is Alison.” I then paused and imagined what His response might be. “Hello Alison, how is my daughter?” I responded, “My heart feels sorrowful because of the choices of my child.” I paused again and then imagined Him saying that His heart was heavy also, and then we cried together. I told Him that I wasn’t sure how to help my sister-in-law. He told me to keep doing what I was doing. I thanked Him for His help and guidance in planning Girl’s Camp. He told me He knew it was important, and He would always help if I kept asking. As I prayed, instead of making a list of things I needed or was grateful for, I listened to what He wanted me to know. I knew that my needs were important to Him, and I felt His light and was delivered from the burdens facing me that day. When fears and temptation come your way and keep you from praying remember that light and righteousness are and will always be more powerful than darkness and doubt.


Love, Sister Linnell

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Tears at 6am wasn't what I expected. But... Thank you. Your message was one I needed to hear today.

heather said...

beautiful. just beautiful. so simple yet so profound. it's everything i needed today. thank you.

Beth said...

Alison - I love reading the blog I always feels strengthened from it. You are doing an amazing job, Camp Director!