Monday, June 13, 2011

Alma 5:45-46

45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?

46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.


I appreciate so much the times in my life when I have felt Heavenly Father has answered my prayers. Like when I prayed to Heavenly Father to know if I should marry my husband. And, when I asked Him to bless my husband in finding a new job. And, when I have prayed to Him to please bless a family member of mine who was so, so sick. Those are major things, but He has also blessed my in the little things I have prayed for, like helping me to be a patient mom, and help with getting all of the things done that are on my list for the day.

But, the most important prayer that He has answered for me is that of letting me know that the Gospel is true. Jesus Christ is my Savior, and He died for me. I did not have an experience like Joseph Smith when I prayed. I didn't see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. There was no lightening bolt or loud voice from above. But, the answer came to me in a better way. He answered my prayer in a way that was right for me, in a way that I would understand and that felt personal to me. The most amazing thing about this though, is that He continually answers this prayer. I feel the Spirit testify to me often that Heavenly Father loves me and that this is His true church. I love being in a church meeting and listening to a speaker or a beautiful musical piece and feeling the Spirit testify of the truthfullness of the Gospel. I love seeing the seasons change around me, or go for a hike in the mountains and see the beautiful creations of Heavenly Father and have the Spirit witness to me again of the goodness of our Heavenly Father.

I know that you can also know of a surety of the truthfullness of this Gospel. This scripture tells us that we can fast and pray to know the truth. I testify that if you are looking to gain a testimony, you can get down on your knees and pray to Heavenly Father. Pray often. Don't give up. Sometimes, when I think Heavenly Father hasn't answered my prayer, I need to look back and examine my life. I need to focus. Sometimes He has answered my prayer and I didn't notice. Isn't that sad? I can't believe I admitted that you you! I wasn't listening, or I wanted my prayer answered another way. And, maybe Satan really didn't want me to feel the Spirit and I let him be a distraction. But, I know that if you pray and listen for Spirit to testify to you, Heavenly Father will bless you with a testimony! And, He will continually bless you with the knowledge that Heavenly Father loves you!

Love,
Sister Norman

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Emily, last night I spent a lot of time praying for a way to help one of the young women. And this morning your words gave me answers. Thank you for your wonderful post this morning. And for your honest testimony.