Saturday, April 2, 2011

D&C 19:28 & 38

28 And again, I command thee that thou shalt pray vocally as well as in thy heart; yea, before the world as well as in secret, in public as well as in private. 38 Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing—yea, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth and corruptibleness to the extent thereof.


I love how this says that we should pray out loud as well as in our hearts, in public as well as in secret. Most of us probably do a great job of praying on our own, in our bedroom, with the door closed. But, this scripture really emphasized to me that we should not be afraid to pray vocally in front of others. I know sometimes we feel shy or embarrased when we are asked to pray in front of a group- either at church or seminary, or somewhere else. However, look at the first part of this scripture- it says, "I command thee...". Praying vocally is a commandment. I hope that we can take this as a challenge to better accept invitations to pray outloud and in front of people any time we are asked. I know that if we do this we will be blessed "more than if [we] should obtain treasures of the earth...".

-Sister Norman

No comments: