Friday, April 29, 2011

2 Nephi 33:3-4

3 But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.

4 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal.

I love that Nephi prays for his people continually. We too have "people". I think the content of most of my prayers is mainly supplication to the Lord for "my people", my family and friends. And, many times I have, like Nephi, watered my pillow with tears as I have begged Heavenly Father to bless them, and me. (I, unfortunately, pray more when I am in the middle of a trial, than when everything in my life seems to be going well.) I know Heavenly Father wants us to pray to Him on behalf of our "people". He wants us to pray to Him continually for their benefit. And, Nephi didn't just say family and close friends. I believe he meant all people he came in contact with. We can pray for someone we know is having a hard time, even if we don't know them well. Sometimes praying for someone we don't know all that much, or even like that much, for that matter, brings us closer to them and can instill in us a desire to get to know them better and to be kinder to them. If we have faith, the Lord will bless those we pray for, and He will bless us for our efforts.

Love,
Sister Norman

No comments: