Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Psalms 27:1-4

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple."

Do you live the gospel out of fear or because you have a testimony of its truthfulness? Do you pray each morning because you fear what might happen if you don’t? Or do you pray because you have faith that Heavenly Father hears your prayers? Sometimes fear becomes our motivation behind doing good things. But, faith and fear cannot coexist. One gives way to the other. For example, if we pray because we fear Heavenly Father might punish us or won’t help us if we don’t, then we allow that fear to prevent us from feeling His love and exercising faith and trust in His guidance.

I have five children, and I would find it incredibly sad if my children spoke with me out of fear that if they didn’t then I wouldn’t help them with the things they need. I desire a relationship with my children based upon their knowledge of my love for each of them and my desire to help them be the best they can become. Heavenly Father wants the same for His children.

Just as fear diminishes our ability to exercise faith, developing our faith will lessen any doubt or discouragement we may experience. Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught: “Faith is a gift of God bestowed as a reward for personal righteousness. It is always given when righteousness is present, and the greater the measure of obedience to God’s laws the greater will be the endowment of faith”. If we desire less doubt and more faith, we must be more obedient. Faith is increased by exact obedience to the small, simple things in our daily lives.

If fear, darkness, and discouragement prevent you from a loving relationship with your Heavenly Father, increase your willingness to be obedient. Pray more frequently. Read and ponder the scriptures with more diligence. Prepare to learn as you attend your meetings. Seek to be in the temple more often. As you do these things, His light in your life will increase. Circumstances may not always change, but your faith and understanding will.

I testify that the Lord is our light. When His presence is near, fear and darkness will depart. Pray to Him simply because He loves you.
Love, Sister Linnell

No comments: